Applicants should have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.25 or higher. In special circumstances, the department may waive this GPA requirement. Applicants who wish to be considered for a graduate teaching assistantship must submit official GRE scores. For applicants not applying for teaching assistantships, submitting GRE scores is recommended but not required.
The Application Process
The application deadline to be considered for fall admission with funding (a graduate teaching assistantship) is February 15. All application materials must be received by that date. Applicants for graduate teaching assistantships must submit official GRE scores.
Applications for admission without funding will be considered on a rolling basis until May 1. For applicants not seeking funding, GRE scores are recommended but not required.
Submission of all application materials is now online. To apply, visit our online application at http://gradadmissions.colostate.edu/apply .
To submit application materials:
After creating your online application and paying your application fee, begin submitting your supporting materials to complete your application:
- Contact your previous institutions to request that they submit official transcripts to Colorado State University (institution code 4075). You must submit one official transcript from each institution attended.
- Contact the testing agency to request that your Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores be sent to Colorado State University (institution code 4075). If you are not seeking funding through a graduate teaching assistantship, you do not need to submit GRE scores.
- Upload a written statement of purpose describing the factors that led you to consider graduate work in philosophy and Colorado State University for graduate study.
- Upload a writing sample that demonstrates your ability to understand and discuss philosophical issues.
- Submit the contact information for the people who will be writing your three letters of recommendation. (Note: the system will send them a link by which they can submit their letters electronically. However, it will not send automatic reminders. It is your responsibility to make sure they get their letters in on time.)
For any documents that cannot be uploaded, submit paper copies directly to the office of Admissions at:
Colorado State University – Office of Admissions
1062 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062
You can view the status of your application (http://gradadmissions.colostate.edu/apply/status) at any time to ensure your application checklist is complete or check on updates.
If you have additional questions about the M.A. program in philosophy at Colorado State, please contact the department's Graduate Coordinator, Gaylene Wolfe.